Alyson Lee Hannigan-Denisof is an American actress. She is best known for her roles as Lily Aldrin on the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother, Willow Rosenberg on the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Michelle Flaherty-Levenstein in three American Pie films.
At 5'6" and 114 pounds, there's a lot of sexiness packed into Alyson Hannigan's lithe frame. She's an alumna of FHM's "100 Sexiest Women Poll," scoring as high as position No. 10. Not only that, but the age-old arbiter of sexiness, Play..boy, declared that in her sapphic role of Willow on Buffy, with her raunchy dialogue and on-screen girl-on-girl kisses, Alyson was "fueling the threesome fantasies of goth boys everywhere."
The secret to Alyson's sexiness lies in her exciting blend of the wholesome and the wanton. Her slight figure and cutie-pie looks (used to such advantage in movies like American Pie) seem at odds with her exuberant sexuality; for example, she once tried to have a chain-link headboard made for her bed (alas, it was too much trouble). But the opposite sides to her allure double her sexiness instead of canceling it out.
Hannigan's first major film role was in My Stepmother Is an Alien, a science fiction comedy released in 1988; one of her co-stars in the film was actor Seth Green, who would later join her in the regular cast of Buffy as her on-screen boyfriend. Then in 1989, her first regular role on a TV series came when she was cast in the short-lived ABC sitcom Free Spirit. Throughout most of the early-1990s, she appeared in commercials. In 1997, Hannigan was cast to play Willow Rosenberg, Buffy's best friend, on the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (replacing Riff Regan, who played Willow in the unaired 25-minute pilot). The show became a success, and Hannigan gained recognition, subsequently appearing in several notable films aimed at teenage audiences, including American Pie, American Pie 2, Boys and Girls, and American Wedding. By the time Buffy had ended in 2003, Hannigan was earning a $250,000 salary for each episode. She also had a guest spot on the Buffy spin-off, Angel, reprising her role of Willow in a few episodes (including most notably "Orpheus," during the fourth season of Angel and the seventh season of Buffy), but none after Buffy finished production.
Hannigan outside the stage door after When Harry Met Sally... in London, in May 2004.
In early 2004, Hannigan made her West End debut, starring in a stage adaptation of When Harry Met Sally... at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, opposite Luke Perry.
In 2005, Hannigan returned to starring in a regular television series, appearing in the hit comedy, How I Met Your Mother, as Lily, and also playing a recurring guest role on Veronica Mars as Trina Echolls.
In February 2006, Hannigan starred as Julia Jones in Date Movie, a parody on romantic comedies.
Alyson Hannigan Quotes
"My husband, Alexis, is my favorite souvenir from my time working on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. We should've gotten married after the first date - I mean, we knew then."
"When I got to L.A., I would walk around with my head held high, just waiting to be discovered."
"We've known for a while even though nothing has been said. I think everybody is pretty much feeling it was a good run and it's time to go."
"There should be a law that there's a pajama day every few weeks. "
"know quickly whether a guy is boyfriend material. If I can have a good time doing absolutely nothing with him, then that's boyfriend material for me. Like if we're able to have fun at a gas station. I've had some really good times at gas stations."
“You think I don't know how to get myself off?”
on shooting the kiss scene with Amber Benson
After one take Joss did say, "Can we have one that's less like you're going to sleep together in about five minutes?"
Alyson on being presumed dead
Alyson: There was a rumor that I was dead. I happened to be off work that day and I had a beeper and the batteries had died so I was just shopping and looking round book stores. People were frantically trying to get in touch with me and people were calling hospitals and the news, people were calling my agent trying to see if it was true, and I got home and my voice mail was filled with people going, "Call me if you're ok" - and I was completely oblivious.
Alyson on filming an Angel episode with husband Alexis Denisof.
Alyson: It was great for a change to share a week's work, rather than being on different projects. With the hours Alexis and I spend on set you can tend to pass like ships in the night. Weekends, however, are great because we can share precious time together. But when we're at home, I promise you, we certainly don't talk about vampires or suck each other's blood for tea.
Alyson talking about her fans
Alyson: It's great that they're devoted. But, it makes you a little paranoid too, wondering how they're gonna interpret every little thing you do.
1. "The Goode Family" .... Michelle (1 episode, 2009)
- Graffiti in Greenville (2009) TV episode (voice) .... Michelle
2. "How I Met Your Mother" .... Lily Aldrin (88 episodes, 2005-2009)
3. Date Movie (2006) .... Julia Jones
4. Farce of the Penguins (2006) (V) (voice) .... Hottie Penguin
5. "Veronica Mars" .... Trina Echolls (3 episodes, 2005)
- My Mother, the Fiend (2005) TV episode .... Trina Echolls
- Hot Dogs (2005) TV episode .... Trina Echolls
- Ruskie Business (2005) TV episode .... Trina Echolls
6. "King of the Hill" .... Stacey Gibson (1 episode, 2004)
- Talking Shop (2004) TV episode (voice) .... Stacey Gibson
7. "That '70s Show" .... Suzy Simpson (2 episodes, 2004)
- Won't Get Fooled Again (2004) TV episode .... Suzy Simpson
- Sally Simpson (2004) TV episode .... Suzy Simpson
8. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Animated Series (2004) (TV) (voice) .... Willow Rosenberg
9. Americana (2004) (TV) .... Andrea
10. American Wedding (2003) .... Michelle Flaherty
... aka American Pie: The Wedding (Australia) (Europe: English title) (Singapore: English title) (South Africa: English title) (UK)
... aka American Pie - Jetzt wird geheiratet (Germany)
11. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" .... Willow Rosenberg (144 episodes, 1997-2003)
12. "Angel" .... Willow Rosenberg (3 episodes, 2001-2003)
13. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2002) (VG) (voice) .... Willow Rosenberg
14. Beyond the City Limits (2001) .... Lexi
... aka Rip It Off (USA: video title)
... aka Rip Off (UK: DVD title)
15. American Pie 2 (2001) .... Michelle Flaherty
16. Boys and Girls (2000) .... Betty
17. "The Wild Thornberrys" .... Gerda (1 episode, 2000)
- Every Little Bit Alps (2000) TV episode (voice) .... Gerda
18. "100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd" .... Gigi (2 episodes, 1999-2000)
19. American Pie (1999) .... Michelle Flaherty
20. Hayley Wagner, Star (1999) (TV) .... Jenna Jakes
21. Dead Man on Campus (1998) .... Lucy
22. For My Daughter's Honor (1996) (TV) .... Kelly
... aka Indecent Seduction
23. "Picket Fences" .... Peggy Patterson (1 episode, 1996)
- To Forgive Is Devine (1996) TV episode .... Peggy Patterson
24. A Case for Life (1996) (TV) .... Iris
25. The Stranger Beside Me (1995) (TV) .... Dana
26. "Touched by an Angel" .... Cassie Peters (1 episode, 1994)
- Cassie's Choice (1994) TV episode .... Cassie Peters
27. "Almost Home" .... Samantha (2 episodes, 1993)
28. Switched at Birth (1991) (TV) .... Gina Twigg, Age 13-16
29. "Roseanne" .... Jan (1 episode, 1990)
- Like, a New Job (1990) TV episode .... Jan
30. "Free Spirit" .... Jessie Harper (14 episodes, 1989-1990)
31. My Stepmother Is an Alien (1988) .... Jessie Mills
32. Impure Thoughts (1986) (as Allison Hannigan) .... Patty Stubbs
Birthname: Alyson Lee Hannigan
Hookups: Alexis Denisof
Hometown: Washington, DC
Assets: Adorable Smile, Flexible, Quirky
Hobbies: The Flute
Country of Origin: United States